Georgia High School Water Polo Association
Welcome to GAPolo.com - your official source for news and information regarding the Georgia High School Water Polo
Association (GHSWPA). Please use hashtag #GAPolo on social media.
- 5/19/15: The 2015 GHSWPA Season Schedule has been published! The first
swim-off will take place on August 11th at Pace Academy and game action will conclude at the
2015 GHSWPA State Championships October 10th & 11th at the
Cumming Aquatic Center.
Additional highlights include the first ever Division III Championship
on October 3rd, where the top two teams will advance to the GHSWPA State Championship the following weekend, and the
Girls GHSWPA State Championship on Sunday, October 4th at the West
Gwinnett Aquatic Center, where like last season, the girls champion with be crowned.
The schedule also includes administrative or non-league items for all GHSWPA members to be aware of:
- August 1st: Athletes, coaches and referees need to be registered with American Water Polo
- August 1st at GAC: PreSeason Meeting
- August 8th at GAC: Table Worker Training
- August 7th, 8th & 9th at Dynamo: TURBO / Kap7 Clinic
- August 15th & 16th at Cumming: Referee Evaluation Clinic
- August 22nd at Collins Hill: Middle School Expo, all GHSWPA players invited
- August 29th & 30th at Dynamo: PowerBar Tournament
- October 3rd at West Gwinnett: Middle School Expo, all GHSWPA players invited
- October 9th at GAC: Coaches / Referee Meeting, season award voting, dinner and celebration
- October 17th at TBD: GHSWPA All-Star Games
2015 will be the GHSWPA's 10th season of operation. The schedule is packed with exciting in-pool action, and with out-pool
learning and growing opportunities for coaches, referees and parents. We can't wait to get started in August!
- 5/14/15: The league's 2015 PreSeason
Meeting will be held on Saturday, August 1st at GAC at 9:00a. Additional details about
the meeting will be emailed to team reps and coaches once known.
- 5/11/15: Congratulations to Alpharetta High School junior Perry Brandes (SPX WPC)
who won the North Fulton County Positive Athlete
Award for an Alternative Sport (Boys) for water polo for the 2014-15 school year! Way to go Perry!
- 4/20/15: Congratulations to Wheeler High School sophomore Steven Kent (Wildcats / Kraken WPC)
who won the Cobb County Positive Athlete
Award for an Alternative Sport (Boys) for water polo for the 2014-15 school year!
Positive Athlete Georgia is a movement by
high-character professional athletes tied to Georgia professional and collegiate
sports teams to promote the benefits of “positivity” to young athletes. Steven and others were awarded for their traits of
optimism, encouragement, being a servant leader, having a heart for others, admitting imperfections, always giving 100%
and putting the team first. In 2014-15, Positive Athlete had nominations from over 150 high schools who provided 2000
Steven and the other 2014-15 Cobb County winners will be recognized at a ceremony this Wednesday, April 22nd.
Way to go Steven!
- 4/14/15: American Water Polo recently updated its training information and policies
about concussions. All GHSWPA coaches, parents and team administrators are strongly encouraged to review this information
and pass their knowledge on to their athletes.
AWP and the GHSWPA want to ensure the safety of all GHSWPA athletes, coaches and officials. It
is important that member athletes, clubs and coaches understand the
posted information, signs of a concussion and proper steps to return to competetion. Coaches and team administrators should
always error on the side of caution when dealing with these type of injuries. Always consult a medical professional if you have
questions about any potential injury.
- 4/13/15: Registration for the
2015 K7 Atlanta Skills and Drills Clinic, hosted by Atlanta Dynamo Water Polo, is now open.
The clinic is an excellent chance to dramatically improve your level of play in one weekend! The 2014 event featured
an incredible staff of clinicians and sold out in a matter of weeks. The clinic is designed for high school players,
but middle school players with experience or strong swimming backgrounds are welcome.
The clinic will take place August 7th - 9th at Dynamo's Chamblee location per the following
schedule: Friday (4:30pm - 8:00pm), Saturday (9:00am - 3:00pm), Sunday (9:00am – 12:00noon)
Please refer to the clinic website
for details, cost, payment options and more.
- 3/16/15: The league's Divisions for the 2015 season have been finalized.
Changes from last season include Pace and SPX B moving up a division, and GAC moving down a division. Divisions 1 and 2
will be playing a few crossover games between divisions, while Division 3 will compete within itself with the intent
of keeping its games more level and developmental. And finally, St. Pius (SPX) has added a C team that will
compete in Division 3. 2015 league scheduling, based on the final Divisions, is now underway.
Have news to share? Submit it now...